Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Quiet Time - The Why's and How's

Did you hang out with God today?

Having a daily quiet time with God is just like playing sports, doing well in school, or playing an instrument well. It takes practice and a plan!

Would you enter the olympics if you had never played the sport?
Will you pass Algebra if you have never been to a class?

How about this. Would your best friend still talk to you if you didn't see or talk to her for a month? A year?

God WANTS to spend time with you every day! But fortunately, God is perfect and forgives all of our shortcomings. So even if you have never had a quiet time before (or if you miss one...or two...or ten) he isn't mad!  He will welcome you back every time and meet you where you are!

The more time we spend one on one with God, the more we will discover who he created us to be and how to go about becoming that person! How exciting is that!

So, we know why...but what about how? It's not like we can call him on the phone to chat...right?

Fortunately God is everywhere! We just have to be quiet and still enough to listen and hear Him.

So, pick a spot, any spot. Somewhere quiet, where nobody will disturb you for at least 15 minutes. Make a sign that says "This is God's time...come back later" for your door if you have to.

All you really NEED for a quiet time is yourself. If you have nothing else, just be still and talk to God. Don't forget to stop sometimes just to listen. Sometimes we miss what God has to say because we are so busy talking!

If you have a bit more time, take your bible, your devo card if you have one, a journal if you want to write down your prayers to God, some sticky notes or paper (in case you need to write down any questions) and a pen. You may want to bring chapstick, tissues, and a snack with you too :) I like to keep all of these things together in a pretty basket in my "spot". That way I won't be tempted to get up until I am done. DO NOT bring your cell phone. You will be okay without it for 15 minutes. Put it in another room if you have to. I promise you will survive ;)

Start by praying. I like to do this in my journal. I talk to God just like a friend. I tell him what I am grateful for. I thank him for being in my life and for loving me no matter what. I confess if I need to ask for forgiveness. I ask him questions about things I don't understand. Your devo card will have specific things you can pray about every day, but mostly it should just come from your heart.

Then, spend some time reading your bible. Your devo card will have a chapter for you to read, or you can just open up and read a chapter from somewhere. If you need suggestions for what to read let us know! We are happy to guide you in the right direction. That's what your leaders are here for!

Then, ask yourself what you think about what you just read. Again, your devo card has some questions to think about. If you don't have your devo card, just spend some time thinking or writing about what you read. What do you think God was trying to teach us when he put this section in the bible? This could be God's way of showing something to you! :)

Then, pray again! Thank God for anything that became clearer to you. Ask him to help you apply what you have learned in your life that day or the next. Again, there are examples on your devo card, but you can talk to him like a friend who loves and cares about you, because that is who He is! Don't forget that you can ask for things you desire...he loves to hear from you! Just remember, things will work out according to his plan. Just because you don't get what you want doesn't mean he wasn't listening! :)

And don't forget how important it is to memorize bible verses, especially those that are relevant to what you are going through! God will bring those verses back into your mind when you need them the most (He does this! I promise!) but he can only do that if you know them! 

Hope will recommend some each week on the devo card, but you may find some others too! Underline them! Write them on a sticky note and put them on your bathroom mirror! You will memorize them before you know it!

No comments:

Post a Comment